While it’s not officially outdoor seating season just yet, these unseasonably warm days have Chicagoland Doulas thinking about our favorite Kid-Friendly Chicago Patios. It can be a challenge to get out of the house with an infant or child of any age. That’s no reason to deprive yourself of the magical art of patio hangs! We picked a few of our top kid-friendly Chicago patios, based on space, environment, menu offerings, and correlation to busy streets.
• Gene’s Sausage Shop (4750 N. Lincoln) Although not open until Memorial Day weekend, Gene’s Sausage Shop, located within the friendly confines of Lincoln Square, has a ballin’ rooftop patio. It’s spacious, which means lots of room for strollers and outings with the whole family. The lush greenery and bright flowers are sure to brighten any day, perhaps even a teething baby or rambunctious toddler?
• Northside Bar and Grill (1635 N. Damen) This spot was in Wicker Park before it was cool – it’s been around for over a decade! Although the patio area can get a bit cramped on busy weekends, it’s tucked away from busy Damen Avenue and there’s a ton of kid-friendly food on the menu. Also, if you’re craving the outdoors while it’s still chilly, the patio enclosed in cooler months, with heat lamps and fireplaces to keep warm!
• Parson’s Chicken and Fish (2952 West Armitage) This enormous Logan Square outdoor space is extremely family-friendly – good for adults, kids, and adults who act like kids. There’s a ping pong table, so it’s the perfect opportunity to mold your little one into the next world champ.
• Southport Grocery and Café (3552 N Southport) This Lakeview artisan grocer and cafe is the perfect place to open your child’s food horizons. They put a unique twist on breakfast favorites, like pancakes, French toast, and oatmeal. Although the patio area is in direct correlation to Southport Avenue, it’s enclosed extremely well and offers enough space in-between tables for storage or quick exits!
• Bang Bang Pie Shop (2051 N. California) This patio is epic. Located in a lot next to the shop, closed off by a tall wooden fence and door, this is just like eating a meal in your backyard. Lots of brightly colored wood furniture, with au natural grass and dirt beneath your feet. Lots of space, sunshine, and pie for the whole family!
Reading this while the babe naps? We update our blog & social media on the regular, so you’ll never miss us.